West Ham 4 Burnley 2 - Diangana, Arnautovic and Anderson Impress
So there I was, driving south on the M11 heading towards the London Stadium. Minding my own business. Daydreaming. On autopilot. Trouble is, Autopilot takes me left onto the M25 towards the Dartford Crossing, heading home to Tunbridge Wells. I’m in the sliplane and it’s already too late to head back onto the motorway. Oh well, I thought, it’ll probably be a shit game and we’ll no doubt lose.
That’s a roundabout way of explaining why not only can David Hautzig not do a match report (he’s at an engagement party), but nor can I. I followed the game with Jeff Stelling and Paul Merson. A rather exciting afternoon. When Burnley equalised for 1-1 I was quite sure we’d go on to lose. Anyway, here are a few talking points to get your teeth into from what I picked up during the game…
1. Grady Diangana. Wow. What a start to his Premier League career. By all accounts he was man of the match. He made five key passes, more than any of his team-mates, and provided the assist for the second goal.
2. Two goals for Felipe Anderson. Hopefully that will give him the confidence to show us what he can do.
3. Diangana’s rival for MOTM was Marko Arnautovic I would have thought. A really committed performance with some great skill.
4. Roger East’s failure to give us a penalty after Diangana was brought down. Shameful.
5. Nice to see Hernandez get a goal, and a delightful chest down from Michail Antonio.
6. We needed that. We’re slowly moving away from the relegation zone. Long may it continue.
7. A good performance by Joe Hart by all accounts. Guess he had something to prove.
8. Good to see us have 63% possession and a shot ratio of 22-6 (on target 10-3)
I have had to ban a couple of people who misbehaved during the Match Thread. Please keep it polite.